For an overview of the program, please click here.
What is the purpose of the mentorship program?
• To help build relationships between students and professionals.
• To bridge the gap between students and professionals; in some cases, between students in other states or countries with professionals they might not otherwise have access to.
• To provide one-on-one opportunities for students to learn from professionals.
• To allow an outlet for professionals to give back to the artistic community.
What makes the mentorship special?
• The Motivarti mentorship program is a competitive and selective program.
• The mentor specifically handpicks the mentee(s) they’d like to work with.
• No two mentorship relationships are ever the same.
• Such one-on-one access to working professionals is rare and unique.
Is there a syllabus or lesson plan?
• There is no set syllabus or lesson plan for the mentorship program.
• Each mentor devotes individual, concentrated attention to their mentees and so develops the program around what the mentee wishes to accomplish during the 10 weeks.
Does Motivarti match me with a mentor?
• Applicants apply to specific mentors rather than the program as a whole.
• Please review each individual mentor’s page to see who they are, their specialties, as well as their preferences in their mentees.
How does the mentorship application process work?
• Anyone interested in the mentorship program must apply to a specific mentor in the program by filling out an application.
• A Motivarti selection committee then reviews each application.
• 10 applicants per mentor will be notified that they have been selected as finalists and move to the next round where the mentors personally review them.
• The mentor selects the mentee(s) they wish to work with that term.
• Motivarti will notify each mentee that they have been chosen to participate in the program.
• The mentee has one week to make a decision and pay the final tuition fee.
Are there any personal interviews prior to the final selection?
• The Motivarti selection committee does not conduct phone interviews and only reviews your application.
• However, some mentors may elect to touch-base with their 10 finalists prior to making their final selections.
How many mentors can I apply for per term?
• You can apply for as many mentors as you want (each application requires a separate non-refundable application fee).
How many people are in the program?
• The number of mentors and mentees varies each round.
• Each mentor specifies the number of mentees they wish to mentor.
How do I apply?
• Please see our Apply page.
Does my work have to be digital/Do I have to work digitally?
• No. You may choose to do your mentorship in traditional medium if you wish. That will be up to you and your mentor to establish.
• Please note, we do however request your portfolio be available on-line. We currently do NOT accept mail-in portfolios.
Can I change my responses after I complete an on-line application?
• Similar to mailing in a paper application, you cannot revise your answers after you submit your application.
Will I get a confirmation after I complete my application?
• Yes. If you submit an on-line application you should receive an email confirmation in regards to your application and payment completion within 24 hours.
• If you submit a mail-in application you should receive an email confirmation in regards to your application and payment completion within 10 days.
How much does it cost?
• There is a separate and non-refundable application fee required for each mentor you apply to per term. The amount varies betweeen $25-$30 depending on your payment method.
• There is also a separate $595 tuition fee that only applies to those selected for the program.
Are there any age restrictions?
• Must be 18 years or older to apply.
Do I have to be a student?
• No, you just have to be 18 years or older. We welcome anyone who is already a working professional looking to improve their skills or even make a career change.
Do I have to be a US Citizen to apply or participate?
• No, but please be aware that Motivarti does not provide sponsorships for international visas.
Can past mentees apply and participate again?
• Yes. Please note, there will be no special considerations for returning mentees.
How much time do I get with my mentor?
• Mentors commit to providing a minimum of 10 hours of one-on-one mentoring. It is the student’s responsibility to make all meetings.
If I am accepted, how many hours should I prepare to devote each week?
• You will roughly meet with your mentor about a hour a week. However you may need to devote more time to working on assignments and portfolio pieces. The amount of time you allot is up to yourself.
• However, because schedules change, Motivarti asks both mentors and mentees prepare to be flexible. You may wind up meeting with your mentor for 1.5 hrs for two weeks in a row if you need to miss one week.
What form of communication should I use with my mentor?
• Every mentor is a working professional, so each mentorship relationship will be based on their availability and preferred mode of communication. It will be up to each mentee and mentor to figure out their method of communication and schedules.
• As a reminder, please be flexible and respectful on both ends of the relationship.
What happens if one of us misses the meeting?
• If the mentee misses the appointed meeting, the mentor does not have to make up the time. It is the student’s responsibility to show up for all arranged meetings.
• If the mentor misses the meeting, the mentee is entitled to a make-up meeting.
How can I communicate with my mentor if I don’t live in the same city or country as them?
• Mentors who opt to form relationships with out of city or international mentees can use a variety of forms of communication, such as phone, email, Skype, iChat, AIM, gChat and others.
• Some programs allow face-to-face phone calls.
• Some programs also allow screen sharing so you can watch your mentor draw or paint in real time.
• You also always have the option of traveling to the city of your mentor and meeting in person should you both choose to do so.
If I live out of state and the mentor I want only wishes to work with only local mentees, can I still apply?
• Yes, you can still apply, but you will need to thoroughly explain why you want this particular mentor.
• Be aware that you may need to fly in to that city and meet with them in person one or several times. The rest of the communication may be done virtually.
• However, mentors may still choose to work with local applicants.
When will I know if I have been chosen as a mentee?
• You will be notified 2 to 3 weeks before the program is scheduled to begin.
What if I have been chosen as a mentee?
• If chosen for the mentorship program, you have 1 week to decide whether or not you wish to participate. Mentees secure their place in the mentorship program only after they have completed their mentorship program fees.
• If you fail to do so or decline, we will offer your spot to the next person on the waiting list.
Does Motivarti offer scholarships for participating mentees?
• Because Motivarti is a new organization, it currently does not have the funds to offer scholarships.
Am I allowed to communicate with my mentor after the program ends?
• Each mentorship pairing is unique. It’s up to you and your mentor to decide on your relationship after the program officially ends.